The castle zoo is an
online zoo where you can see the 12 main live cams that includes pandas,
elephants, and flamingos. You can access the animals on the map or
Pandas- San Diego Zoo
- The People's Republic of China sent two giant pandas, Basi and Yuan Yuan, to
the for a 200-day loan in
1987. More than two million people were able to view the pandas during their
- On August 21, 1999, Bai Yun gave birth to Hua Mei, the first giant
panda born in North America to survive to adulthood. Millions of people around
the world watched Hua Mei grow up via the Zoo's Panda Cam.
- In 1979, the takins, and Manchurian
began working with
Chinese zoos to help many of China's endangered animals, including red pandas,
- A panda narrator is at the panda's main viewing area daily to share the
latest news and to answer guests' questions about the "bamboo
- Bamboo is grown on grounds and at
several off-grounds locations to supply the pandas with their daily meals.
- The has the largest
number of giant pandas in the United States.
- A herd of seven African elephants, scheduled to be culled in Swaziland due
to overpopulation, safely arrived in on a truly "jumbo"
plane in August 2003. They are one of the most genetically valuable African
elephant herds in North America.
- One of the Park's Asian elephants, Carol, became famous in the 1970s for her
ability to "paint." Her paintings were used as fund-raisers.
- An African elephant named Hatari starred in a 1962 motion picture of the
same name with John Wayne before arriving at the Wild Animal Park.
- In 1989 the Wild Animal Park began a "protected contact" system for handling
elephants. In this system, keepers work with elephants from a shielded position,
usually behind a barrier with openings that allows access to the elephant. We
now work with other animal species in the same way.
- It's not a UFO! The round, yellow object in the background of our Elephant
Cam is the Park's Balloon Safari
Polar Bears- San Diego
- The received its first
polar bear in 1917. It was displayed in a cage. In 1926 a new polar bear grotto
was complete, one of the world's first barless enclosures.
- Polar Bear Plunge is one of the largest polar bear exhibits in the world.
- Snow is added to the polar bears' exhibit for special occasions. The bears
enjoy playing on the white stuff, slipping, sliding, and even eating it!
- The duck pond is chilled to 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit (12 to 15 degrees
Celsius)=very comfortable for these arctic residents.
- Kids can climb on or pose with two life-sized stainless steel polar bear